Thursday, February 8, 2007

Reflection on a Year of Bad Announcing

This year hit me pretty hard. It was a year that I new would come, but would never be ready for. The year Monday Night Football went to cable.

I had to make sure I wasn't the only one that thought the switch to ESPN for Monday Night Football came with some horrible announcing. I asked the guys over at AwfulAnnouncing a few questions to confirm my frustration.

How do you think the commentary compares to the old Monday night team of Madden and Michaels?

I don't think the two compare at all really. In the grand scheme of things both broadcast teams have more flaws than positives. Al and John just weren't/aren't what they used to be, and ESPN saw that and decided to change. I can't really fault them for it, but I can fault them for what they replaced them with.

While Tirico is pretty solid the Tony K and Theismann experiment is just not working. Al and John have an excuse....they are just old.

If you were in charge, what changes would you make to the ESPN team?

Wow good question.....The thing I've never understood is why stations they keep their best and most knowledgeable people on the pregame and halftime shows. Every sport they do this. With baseball it's Ravech.....with football it's Ron Jaworski. Jaws should most definitely be in the booth with Tirico. I also would have dropped Kornheiser and made a play for Tiki Barber.

If you had to get rid of an announcer on the team, who would it be and why.

I don't know if I could only choose one. Tony and Joe have got to go. I'm convinced that Joe Theismann was in an unknown car accident and lost every bit of football knowledge he had. Tony just isn't funny, and his good insights are few and far between. I guess if I had to choose I would keep Joe Theismann because he at least has a semblance of Football knowledge (albeit very little).

In light of the recent Super Bowl, what did you think of the coverage?

I thought the broadcast was pretty bad actually. For a team that good....with that much time to prepare.....they were dreadful. Nantz seemed bored, Simms was loud and incoherent, and neither commented on the weather once during the game. The halftime show wasn't bad, and the pregame was okay (minus the cirque du soleil).

Thanks to AwfulAnnouncing for taking the time out to answer our questions and confirm our sanity.

Check out AwfulAnnouncing.

2 comments:

SAMO said...

Nice interview!

Ken said...

Tirico, Jaws, and Barber. Now that would hell of a booth crew. That is if Fox News doesn't snatch up Barber first.